- 1 1/2 cups raw long-grain wild rice
- Boiling water
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot chili oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas
- 1/2 cup thinly slices scallions
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 recipe Asian Dressing
- Crisp lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
One day ahead: put the rice into a large glass measuring cup or bowl. Cover with 2 inches of boiling water. Cover and slow to sit at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours. Drain and pour over more boiling water. Cover loosely and cook on high in the microwave oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the grain are tender. Allow to sit for 10 minutes and drain off any excess water.
Trim the chicken breasts and place between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a veal pounder to flatten to an even thickness. Combine the 2 oils and brush all surfaces of the chicken with the oil mixture. Salt lightly and grill or broil the chicken, turning once, just until done through. 6 to 8 minutes, depending on size. Cool and cut, across the grain, into thin strips.
Blanch the snow peas for 30 seconds in boiling salted water. Drain and refresh with ice water. Cut in half on the diagonal.
Toss the peas, scallions, carrots, red pepper and cilantro into the rice.Make the dressing and add enough dressing to the rice mixture for god flavor.Toss the chicken with just enough dressing to coat.To serve: place the rice mixture on a bed of lettuce leaves. Arrange the chicken on top and sprinkle with the almonds.
Serves 8 to 10.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut (or canola) oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sweet and hot mustard
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
Whisk together or blend in the blender.