Last year, nearly 48.7 million Americans hit the road during the 2016 Thanksgiving season. At the same time, only one out of four car seats in America are correctly installed. That’s a lot of room for improvement.
Here’s something to be thankful for: research shows that a correctly installed car seat can dramatically reduce the risk of injury or even death in a motor vehicle crash.
Experts from Buckle Up for Life, the national car seat safety program from Cincinnati Children’s and Toyota, can discuss top tips to help parents and caregivers get it right this Thanksgiving travel season and all year round. The tips are part of Buckle Up for Life’s mission to educate families about the proper use of car seats and seat belts and provide free car seats to families in need.
- Pinching More Than Cheeks: Make sure car seats are secure with the “Pinch Test” and the “Inch Test.”
- Turkeys Do Fly: Secure loose items and holiday extras in the car to prevent them from becoming projectiles.
- Warm, Cozy and Safe: Keep little ones warm but do not compromise safety by buckling them in puffy winter coats.
- Don’t Make Me Turn This Seat Around: Ensure your child’s seat faces the correct way according to their size and age.
- BYO-Seat: Don’t rent a car seat; knowing the history of your car seat can help you ensure it’s in proper, safe condition.
- In 2015, 1 child under the age of 13 was involved in a crash every 33 seconds. (Source: NHTSA)
- A properly installed car seat reduces the risk of death in infants by 71 percent and by 54 percent in toddlers. (Source: CDC)
- Guests will have state-specific data regarding crashes involving children and related fatalities
About Buckle Up for Life
Buckle Up for Life is a national car seat safety program for families, created by Toyota and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center in 2004, to help keep child passengers safe. The program partners with leading children’s hospitals, community organizations, local governments, schools and non-profit organizations to teach parents and children about the proper use of car seats and seat belts and to provide free car seats to families in need. Buckle Up for Life has reached more than 65,000 people nationwide and has partnerships in 32 cities including Dallas, Memphis, Phoenix, Chicago, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and San Antonio – and expands to new partners each year. In one city alone, the program nearly tripled the use of proper car seats in participating families. Toyota has provided funding for over 50,000 car seats for families in need. For more information about Buckle Up for Life, please visit www.buckleupforlife.org.