Jobs are out there – why is it so hard to fill them?
- Skills gap – current workers nearing retirement age
- Younger generation not knowing about the pathway; need to reach the moms
- Students being driven into college, even if it isn’t their passion
What are the opportunities for younger workers entering manufacturing?
- Advanced manufacturing is clean, bright
- These are high-tech, high-skill jobs – hands-on and brain-on
- Better pay than other work
- More benefits (healthcare, college reimbursement)
How is business and education working to solve the shortage of workers?
- Business is pitching in to generate awareness
- They are coming to our labs to recruit top talent – kids are fielding more than a dozen offers
- Public-private partnership to modernize labs and bring them to 21st century
What can other schools be doing?
- Engage school counselors in career tech
- Visit manufacturers to see the types of work available
- College isn’t for everyone – but even manufacturing can be a pathway to college and career advancement