Court Packing is an Imminent Threat but Red Flags are Being Ignored
Wall Street Journal agrees that "Judicial independence is too important to sacrifice for a majority’s temporary political advantage" But they are missing the signs of this threat being imminent.
Some of the signs that the threat to pack the Court are growing:
- Last year President Biden appointed a commission to study court packing but ignored the Keep Nine Amendment all together. This suggests there is at least a long term plan to pack the court.
- More than 60 Democrats are supporting measures to expand
- 200 members of Congress are trying to make sure that court packing does not happen while 0 Democrats have exhibited support for the amendment
- Last year President Biden appointed a commission to study court packing but ignored the Keep Nine Amendment all together. This suggests there is at least a long term plan to pack the court
- Polling shows that voters would support the "Keep Nine" Amendment by a more than 2-1 margin.
- The "Keep Nine" Amendment simply states "The Supreme Court of the United States shall be composed of nine Justices."
- Backed by a bipartisan group of more than 1000 elected officials, the "Keep Nine" Amendment is the most widely supported Supreme Court constitutional reform in America.
- Despite the push to pack the court, the President has not agreed to do so.
- “If we start the process of trying to expand the court, we’re going to politicize it, maybe forever, in a way that is not healthy,” Biden said in an interview with MSNBC.