- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Melt the butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, carrots and jalapeno. Sauté, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
Add the thyme, bay leaf and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook, partially covered about 25 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
Remove bay leaf.
Purée in the blender and return to the pot.
Whisk in the cream and season to taste with salt
.Reheat, but do not boil
Serve hot, topped with chopped cilantro.
Serves 6 to 8.