Listener James Bjorkman of Newport sent us this recipe. His is unique because he uses peanut butter which helps to make the sauce smooth and creamy.
Try his "secret ingredient"- peanut butter-in other dark meat sauces, for instance for teriyaki or sukiyaki sauces.
- 1 pound lean sirloin steak, slightly frozen, and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil (Crisco)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Mix the above together and chill for at least I hour. Then in a hot wok or saucepan heat and stir the following:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (Jif)
- 1 clove of garlic (or more to taste), minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 green onions with tops (or more), halved and sliced lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
Then add the meat and marinade and cook until done. Serve with rice or Chinese noodles.