Recipe and photography courtesy of Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, authors of Hello, Cupcake!
- 1 roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon egg white powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- Assorted Jelly Belly jelly beans
- Green Jelly Belly Chewy Fish
- Parchment paper
- Flower-shaped cookie cutter
- Lollipop sticks
- Resealable bag
- Terra cotta pot or serving bowl
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Knead the sugar cookie dough with the flour on a work surface until smooth. Divide the dough in half.
- Roll out half on a lightly floured surface to a scant ¼ inch thickness. Use 2 to 3 inch flower shape cookie cutters and cut out as many shapes as possible. Transfer the shapes to the prepared pans on either long edge. Insert a lollipop stick into the dough about half way into the cut out.
- Bake until cookies are golden about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough and lollipop sticks.
- Combine the powdered sugar and egg white powder in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water and mix well. Add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until mixture is thick. Spoon the mixture into a re-sealable bag.
- Snip a very small corner from the bag, about 1/8 inch. Pipe dots of frosting on cookies and attach the Jelly Belly beans. For the center of the cookies, cut some of the Jelly Belly beans in half crosswise and add, cut side down. Continue with the remaining Jelly Belly beans and cookies. Let cookies dry at least 2 hours.
- Place a piece of Styrofoam into a clean planter or serving bowl. Fill planter with green Jelly Belly beans. Insert the cookie pops into the planter, pushing the sticks into the Styrofoam to secure at different heights. Add a few green Jelly Belly Chewy Fish as the leaves.