A sturdy bee house mounted to a solid object is the foundation for a safe solitary bee and wasp nesting habitat. Here are some helpful tips for installing your home in the perfect location:
- Mount the house on a sturdy wall, fence, or tree - bees do not like swinging in the breeze.
- Bees are cold-blooded and need the warmth of the morning sun to start flying. Select a site that is south to southeast facing.
- Mason bees only fly about 300 ft² in search of pollen and nectar. Place your house near open blooms and gardens.
- To protect your bees from small animals and easily observe them at work, place your house at eye level (about 5 ft) and ensure the entrance is clear of branches or bushes.
- Clean the house with soap and water and allow it to dry thoroughly before releasing the cocoons.